Thursday, April 21, 2011

Taking the Plunge

Well I finally bit the bullet and did it, after months and months of soul searching, I quit my job. For over a year I've know that I wanted to focus more of my energy on the fitness industry but somehow not throw away over a decade of experience in advertising. It was a difficult decision and walking away from a full-time pay-cheque in hopes that a part-time job, personal training and spinning will make up the balance is unnerving, but one that I felt I needed to make for my own happiness.

We start our careers in our 20's full of energy and ambition and by our mid-thirties we're different people. We have families, new priorities and let's be honest, less energy. I have been with a same small company for ten years, I love my co-workers like siblings. Some days we are like a big family sitting around laughing at the dinner table and other days we're two sisters fighting over who wore who's sweater. Believe me I am well aware that I can be as frustrating to work with as the next person but I know I'm going to miss those folks. We spend more time with the people we work with than our families so its inevitable that you create lasting friendships and meet people that change your path in life.

It feels like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. The stress I have felt over the past few months has all come to a head. Not only working six days a week building up my personal training hours, taking courses etc but also the stress of knowing I was making a huge decision that would change everything about what I thought was my desired career path. It's not fair to anyone to stay where you know you aren't truly motivated to do your best. Negativity and pessimism breed like wildfire in a place where people stay for a guaranteed pay cheque but have lost the passion for the work. I'm lucky that I have the support of my husband to start something new from scratch and see how it goes.

It's a new day and I feel like there are endless possibilities available to me. Grab the bull by the horns folks cause you only get one go around in this rodeo.  (ok I think I went to far with that one)

2 comments:

  1. So, I guess it's official! Congrats Regan, I'm so proud of you and know that you're going to be a huge success at whatever comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! I am so happy for you!! Congratulations... I'm not sure how you held up working so hard, harder than usual, this past year but it paid off lady.. I couldn't agree more with you.. do what fills your heart and makes you happy!! I'm sure they will miss you immensely, both your friendship and hard work!!! xo

    ReplyDelete

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!