Monday, December 20, 2010

DOM DOM DOMS

DOMS - Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness

You know that feeling the day after a tough workout when you can't sit down because your hamstrings and quads are aching so you fall onto the chair? That is DOMS. And today I have DOMS all over the place. So how much is too much and what can you do to help reduce the ache?

Well if you feel like me and even your forearms are aching you probably over did it. A mild soreness shows you pushed yourself and you should feel back to normal in a day or two. The soreness is caused from little microscopic tears in your muscles, and your muscles get stronger as they repair those tears, but you don't want to be so sore you can't maintain your usual activities, like walking. Today I needed someone to help dress me.

There's no way to know just how sore you are going to be one workout from the next. Sometimes I give it everything I have and the next day feel fine, other times I give it everything and can barely move the next day. But you will notice if you are a runner and you add sprint intervals your quads will be sore, if you increase the weight for your training, you will be sore etc. Doing the same old thing will not challenge your muscles, train to muscle failure!

To reduce DOMS be sure to rest after a workout, ideally 48-72 hours between strength training, if you like to train most days of the week do legs one day upper body the next. I do a "push/pull" program where I train all my pulling muscles one day, ie back, biceps, glutes, hamstrings, core and the next day all the pushing muscles; chest, shoulders, triceps, quads, calves, core and then a rest day.

If you are sore, rest, do light activities, don't try to muscle through a workout you will feel 100x worse the next day and may injure yourself. Soak in an epsom salt bath, do gentle stretching, be sure to refuel after your workout. REST!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!