Friday, December 31, 2010

Diet Coke *sigh*

I'm reposting this one as I fell off the Diet Coke wagon over the holidays but have climbed back on...


Let me start by saying I LOVE LOVE LOVE DIET COKE, oh its sweet fizzy caffeinated taste! I thought six years ago giving up regular Coke was difficult...well let me tell you, whatever addictive properties Coke had, Diet Coke is its jacked up cousin 'cause I am jonesing for Diet Coke everyday!  But lately I've been winning the battle so I'm climbing up onto my pulpit....brace yourselves.

Top 3 reasons why I fight the Diet Coke battle!

1. It contains aspartame - this is a scary product which failed government testing for years, it has been linked to cancer, epilepsy/seizures, obesity and more http://aspartame.mercola.com/

2. It is so acidic it can literally eat away at your teeth. people who drink 3 or more sodas daily have 62% more tooth decay than people who don't.

3. Artificial sweeteners are linked to weight gain! 


Of 622 study participants who were of normal weight at the beginning of a study on diet soda and weight gain, about a third became overweight or obese over the eight-year study period.

For regular soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:
  • 26% for up to 1/2 can each day
  • 30.4% for 1/2 to one can each day
  • 32.8% for 1 to 2 cans each day
  • 47.2% for more than 2 cans each day.
For diet soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:
  • 36.5% for up to 1/2 can each day
  • 37.5% for 1/2 to one can each day
  • 54.5% for 1 to 2 cans each day
  • 57.1% for more than 2 cans each day.
For each can of diet soft drink consumed each day, a person's risk of obesity went up 41%!

ref: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight

 So why to we eat healthfully and exercise to only chase it all down with a drink that is setting us up for failure?  Take control of your taste-buds ladies and gentlemen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!