Monday, December 27, 2010

Should you start 2011 off with a cleanse?

As the new year approaches you may be looking for a way to kickstart your New Year's resolution to lose weight...maybe this will help.

There are so many mixed messages about detoxes and cleanses in the market. Some are very extreme and restrictive, some are just wacked.  Who wants to drink water with maple syrup and cayenne pepper? Ugh. That is the Master Cleanse in case you weren't aware, which also requires you to drink large volumes of salt water until your bowels release...ugh.

Here is the thing I have learned over the years about detoxing and cleansing, if you are looking to reduce your intake of a certain food that you feel is hindering your weight-loss or fitness goal then I'm all for it, keeping in mind you are meeting your daily required calories and vitamins.


Caffeine: But I need it!
I'm not a coffee drinker, never have been but I know most people love to wake up with a cuppa Joe. Caffeine is a stimulant which alters your body's natural rhythms.  If you are relying on caffeine to get you through the day then you are probably lacking sleep, if you need it mid-afternoon as a pick-me-up perhaps you needed to eat a healthier lunch. Try a few days without caffeine and see how your body feels, a cup of coffee a day is not a terrible thing but it could be masking other issues.


Sugar: Who doesn't love something sweet? 
Whether you have an insatiable appetite for jelly beans or chocolate there is a common ingredient that is so addictive it should come with a warning label. Sugar! The only successful way to tackle your sugar addiction is to stop eating it! Read the labels, if the serving size has more than 4 grams of sugar don't eat it. And don't even think of replacing it with artificial sweeteners, they are chemicals, back away!

Meat: Mooove away from the butcher
Anytime you remove an entire category from your diet you need to do some research. I haven't eaten meat in almost two years and I don't miss it but it was overwhelming at first. Speak with a dietitian, buy a vegetarian cookbook, spend sometime online.  There are so many great non-meat meal ideas out there.

Dairy:  Cheese Please!
Oh cheese how I miss you.  I am happy never to drink milk again, I prefer the taste of almond milk, yogurt is no great loss, but cheese!!! I have tired so many non-dairy cheese substitutes but haven't found any that come close to the real thing, if you know of one please let me know. A lot of people have mild to intense digestive issues when it comes to dairy, I noticed a huge improvement in stomach bloat and indigestion when I cut dairy out of my diet. Its not the same for everyone but I would suggest going dairy free for a few days to see if you notice a difference.

Chocolate: You will have to pry it from my cold dead hands!
I looove chocolate, and there are a lot of health benefits to dark chocolate. Most chocolate we consume however is cheaply made and full of sugar. If you have a chocolate craving stick to a serving under 100 calories and 75% or higher levels of cocoa. As with all sweets the longer you go without the weaker the cravings become, try one day, then two then a week.

Sample Detox:
Here is a two week detox I did recently which was very gentle and I felt like a million bucks after!

- no dairy
- lean protein only (grilled chicken or fish) as a vegan I stuck to beans and tofu
- no eating after 8pm
- no caffeine
- no sugar
- have a vegan protein shake to replace one meal a day
- drink 3 liters of water a day
- no artificial sweeteners!
- only whole grains (nothing white)
- in bed before 11pm
- NO Alcohol

With this detox I also practiced yoga everyday and took two weeks off my hectic kickboxing, running and weight training program.  My body felt rejuvenated! This detox was so gentle its become my normal daily eating plan.

My favorite smoothie recipe is:

1C Almond Milk (unsweetened)
1 scoop vegan protein powder
1 scoop Greens + Daily Detox
1 banana
1C frozen berries
1 tsp olive oil

Blend, makes one serving of about 350 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!