Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Cost of Getting Fit!


So how much does it cost to get fit? Most of you know that I love to exercise, in fact its my favorite pastime, but it comes with a hefty price-tag. Here's a list of everything I've purchased in the name of fitness in 2010...and cheaper options for 2011!

Kickboxing Annual Membership - $750
Yoga classes 2 per week x $14 = $1456
Crossfit sessions - $250
Spinning classes - $100
Sneakers - $160
Cycling shoes - $125
Race registration fees - $200
Yoga wear - $300
Running gear - $300
Sport watch - $50
Protein powder, gels, bars - $500
Equipment for home gym - $775
Misc: water bottles, bike lights, songs on iTunes etc  $200

Grand total: $5116.00!!!!  And I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, like the $575 personal training course and $250 spinning certification course and I'm in over $6,000 to get fit in 2010, $500 a month!

Well things are going to change in 2011! Here is my plan and perhaps it will give you some ideas for cutting your budget in the new year.

Kickboxing membership - expires in March - with the amount of other activities I'm doing now I can only go twice a week so instead of paying $750 a year I'll look at paying the $10 drop in fee and go once  a week to my favorite class - $520 (Saving $230)

Yoga classes - I currently buy classes as I go, but as this is becoming my new activity of choice I will look at paying $120 a month for unlimited classes. $1440 (Savings only $16 but instead of twice a week I can go everyday!)

Spinning classes - I will complete my spinning certification in the new year, so I'll be teaching the classes, double bonus of a workout and a pay cheque! (Saving $100)

Sneakers - I run a lot, I need new shoes at least once a year so no savings on this one...though I will check the annual race weekend merchants tent for any deals (Saving $0)

Cycling Shoes - I don't need another pair in 2011.  (Saving $125)

Race Registration - I will only enter charity races this year and raise enough money to waive my entry fee...get ready to open your wallets! (Saving $200)

Running/Yoga gear - Ok I will stop buying so much, lets say half. And I don't need a new watch. (Saving $350)

Gym Equipment - I now have everything I need...well maybe some more weights (Saving $675)

Most of the other miscellaneous stuff I actually use but perhaps buy more than I need so I'll suck it up and budget for half (Saving $350).

Grand Total for 2011: $2870
OK still not cheap but that is a total savings of over $3000!

What are your plans to get fit in 2011? Have you made a budget? Seeing it all in writing can be an eye opener.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my good god! No wonder I can't retire until I'm 80...

    ReplyDelete

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!