Tuesday, December 21, 2010

So you want to run a half marathon!

Me and my running buddy Teresa Hypothermic Half Marathon Jan 2009  Minus 26C Brrrrrr

I ran my first half marathon November 2008 and it was awesome! So awesome in fact that I quickly signed up for three more and ran 4 in 10 months, not recommended if you have my knees. But I digress because I learned my lesson and ran my fifth injury free this fall.

21.1 kilometers, 13 miles for our American friends, yup that is a long way. But here is how my warped mind works, it is my favorite distance to run and my favorite race distance to train for.  I love trying to set a new personal best, I love getting up every Sunday morning and doing all my pre-run rituals and then clocking in the miles. I had one of my best training seasons this past summer, I felt great, the weather was great and I loved it!

A half-marathon is a manageable distance for most people. I only run three days a week when I'm training because as I previously mentioned I have the knees of an 80 year-old. My three runs consist of a fast 8-10km run, sprint intervals varying from 6-10km and a long slower run 16-25km...I do this for 12 weeks and am good to go. Obviously if you can't currently run 16km this is not the program for you, but you could get there!

I read a fantastic book "Run Less, Run Faster" and it completely changed how I train for races of any distance. It's technical and based upon very specific paces and intensity, if you are not interested in tracking your running stats then this is not the book for you, but I love stats so for me and my Garmin 305 this book has made me not only a faster runner but has also reduced my running injuries.  And its tough, if you don't want to run 100 meter sprints over and over then I suggest you look elsewhere. I love a tough cardio challenge so sign me up for a race and I'll do the training, I actually like the weeks of training way more than the actual race.

If you are not interested in becoming a running nerd with your GPS, heart rate monitor, lap top etc then I suggest you look at joining a running club. Every city has one and they offer great coaching tips and group runs, the social aspect of running clubs really helps motivate a lot of people.  I prefer running by myself or with one other person, get me in a group and I start to worry if its to fast or too slow, if everyone is doing ok, Mother Hen I am.

If running a half marathon is on your bucket list then why not look into a spring race and start your training in the new year? I have a few runs on my bucket list:

- Full Marathon in Athens, Greece
- Comrades Ultra Marathon (90km) in South Africa, this race alternates each year from uphill to downhill, I'm not sure which I'd chose, there is a 12 hour cut off!
- San Francisco Nike Women's Half Marathon
- New York City Marathon

What's on your fitness bucket list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!