Monday, March 14, 2011

On the Cover of the Rolling Stone..well not quite!


The March issue of SELF is on stands and my little feature is on page 24. I was so nervous about the final result as you have no control over the content, layout or tone of the article. After talking with several researchers and providing multiple photos it was nice to open it and not see a giant ink splot across my face a la Charlotte's engagement photo in the New York Times.  I don't think I could have provided a more unflattering "before" picture and knowing 6.5 million people are going to see it is a bit traumatizing.

The only thing I wish was different in the article was the use of the word "fat". It's true that I really focused my attention on losing weight when I had to start shopping in plus-size stores but I never said "I was tired of feeling fat." I hate the "f" word, the three letter one...believe me I love the four letter "f" word.  It's not that I'm in denial, I was fat, technically morbidly obese, but I think the word "fat" sounds angry and judgmental. I like to make jokes that I was a "big girl" or "heavy" and sure I was fat but its a label that I think is hurtful. Medically you are overweight, obese or morbidly obese, a doctor would never call you fat. Even fat is technically edipose tissue, doesn't that sound better?

It's a minor thing but it jumped out at me. I guess I'm still sensitive about it.  If you had a chance to pick up a copy I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading, I think before and after pictures are so inspiring whether you know the person in them or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!