Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I don't recall asking for your opinion!

It's funny how commenting on people's appearance is considered socially acceptable, whether the comment is positive or negative. Believe me we all do it. Who hasn't seen a picture of someone they haven't seen for a while on Facebook and said "Oh, she's gained a few pounds." We even make comments to each other about our bodies which are not always appropriate. "I look fat!", "You look like you've lost a few pounds.", "Ugh I hate my thighs". Have you ever tried to go a single hour without allowing a negative thought about yourself or someone else enter your mind? Try it...I think people are either positive and negative in nature and for someone who thinks of themselves negatively may find it easier to think and say nice things about others.

We practice savasna in yoga, also know as "corpse pose", the intent is to lay perfectly still while beads of sweat pour down your face at the end of class and just let it happen, to just push thoughts aside as they come into your mind. It's one on the more difficult poses for people who are fidgety, I'm not but a bead of sweat rolling down my face drives me insane. Over the past few years I've learned to not move a muscle, I can lay there in complete stillness as an itch creeps across my nose or a sore muscle starts to ache, I have trained my body to obey. I have yet to master the ability to master my thoughts. Paula our yoga instructor once described our minds as an excited puppy, and it was so appropriate. The goal is to not stop thinking but to acknowledge the thoughts as they occur and gently push them aside. As I lay on the mat in savasana I usually have negative thoughts of how I performed in class, what the rest of the day has in store for me, how my ass is falling asleep. I try to embrace the practice of savasana throughout my day as negative thoughts enter my mind but who doesn't love a good bitch session with a friend or reading a trashy celebrity magazine?

My intention is to spend more time embracing positive thoughts when they come to me and acknowledging the negative thoughts but pushing them aside. Positivity breeds positivity and I think we could all use a little bit more of that in our lives.

Pollyanna signing off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!