Saturday, October 9, 2010

Why didn't anyone tell me?

I look back at photographs of myself and realize I WAS OBESE and no one told me.  When and how did this happen?  I never felt large, I knew I was heavier than I should be but I had fun, lots of friends, boyfriends, always up for a party. I wasn't shunned because of my size, I wasn't lacking self confidence, believe me there are enough photos of me in circulation as the life of the party to know I was no shrinking (no pun intended) violet.

Sure there were signs along the way, inseams of jeans that seemed to fray in a short period of time, realizing the largest size in the "regular" stores was a little too snug, most of my photos were taken from the neck up or me hiding behind another person or object. But I felt good!!! Well that's what I told myself anyway.

At 208 pounds I had a BMI of 39.3, which put me in the 93rd percentile for my age and height. Meaning only 7% of the women in my age group and at my height were larger than me! Seven is not my lucky number, things had to change.

Here's  a pretty easy tool to calculate your BMI  http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ and a pretty useful web site from Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/weights-poids/guide-ld-adult/bmi_chart_java-graph_imc_java-eng.php

I understand no one is going to go up to their overweight friend and tell them they should drop a few.  But do your friend a favour, instead of inviting him/her out for dinner and drinks invite them out for a walk, a stroll through a new neighborhood, antiquing, what ever your interests are just something to encourage movement and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!