Monday, October 11, 2010

For the Love of God Pour Me Another One!!

Ahhh booze, let me say it again, ahhhh booze.

Now I may have indulged in a beverage or two in my time, or in enough beverages for my time, your time, your Uncle Bob's, Aunt Mable's, Cousin Dick's...you get my point. There are those of us I call reverse drinkers, we're the ones at the bar appearing sober at 11pm when everyone else is morphing into staggering, slurring rag dolls, we are the ones that pick up the speed and the frequency of which we consume alcohol as the night wears on. We're the ones at 2am with four drinks (in anticipation of last call) on the table, wondering where we are going after the bar to keep the party going, who at 4am when people are passing out we have some how managed to drink ourselves sober. I am that person. And man I was a lot of fun....

But here's the tricky thing about booze, some people can handle it and some people can't. You're in either of those two camps. I was enjoying a pretty good run until I started to close in on my 30th birthday. I woke up one morning and my tent had been moved from the Can Camp and squarely placed in the Can't Camp. Father Time can be a harsh teacher. We've all been there, the hangover from hell, the I'm never going to drink again song, the vomit, the sweats and everything else unappealing which I will spare you from.  Some of us have a handful of these in our lifetime and learn to grow out of the phase, some of us need the Hangover Ogre to come and kick the living shit out of us over and over and then finally drive it home with the hangover to end all hangovers.

I've learned my lesson Ogre...me and booze are no longer friends. Sure I had a glass of champagne at my wedding, and I plan on savoring some wine when I finally visit Italy, but here is the thing about booze not only is it a drug that messes with the function of our organs, our brain cells, every cell of our bodies, booze is also just a giant glass of empty calories and drinking all those empty calories makes your body crave calories from another source and weakens your resolve to resist temptation, you hear me 3am pizza, poutine, shwarma, chicken wings.  Nothing good comes from those late night binges on booze and fast food.

If you want to know the calories in your favorite drink check out this site: http://caloriecount.about.com/tag/food/booze

Sip wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!