Sunday, October 10, 2010

Lowered Expectations

Damn you scale! Damn you!

Don't get me wrong, I love shows like The Biggest Loser but for those of us who have struggled with losing weight watching people lose 10 - 25 pounds each week just makes me want to give-up!  Based upon this level of weight loss I could have met my goal of losing 80 pounds in less than two months..yeah right!

There are much more realistic shows on weight loss.  Personally I love Paul Plakas' show X-Weighted  http://xweighted.ca/ on Slice, I love his no nonsense way of training, and that he addresses lifestyle and nutrition options.  If you are not familiar with Paul his site is great http://www.paulplakas.com/  He's intense and inspiring. If you are in Edmonton you can also train with Paul!

Since shows like The Biggest Loser have set us up to think the healthy weight loss goal of .5-2lbs a week is a failure, we get on the scale more times than not with dreams of seeing huge drops only to be greeted with -.5 or worse, nothing, and God forbid, a gain!  When starting out on a weight loss plan whether its 80 pounds or five pounds you have to lower your expectations. Our bodies are smart, they want to keep all the nice warm padding, they love the jiggly bits, it is a struggle to shrink those fat cells, but it can be done.

It's Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend so I'll lay off the diet pulpit today. Gobble Gobble

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!