Thursday, October 21, 2010

Company Pool Party…whose idiot idea was that?

I don't think there is anything that strikes the fear of God into those fighting the battle of the bulge than an invitation to a Pool Party.  Believe me I know! A few years ago we did a company party at a local lake with kayak lessons, beach volleyball, Frisbee etc. and I was petrified.  I was getting close to my goal weight but was by no means comfortable traipsing about in a swimsuit in front of my colleagues.

When Doomsday arrived I was on DEFCON 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFCON), I had tried on my swimsuits from previous years, and all were saggy and misshapen. I should have been happy I was now too small to wear them but instead was struck with the fear I would have to go shopping,  the HORROR!  So instead I stuck my head in the sand and decided I would not be participating in water activities...team building be damned.

However my attempts to avoid the water were squashed by powers greater than I. As we prepared for our kayak lessons I entered the water in my 1890's swimming costume, complete with to-the-knee shorts and long shirt, I may have been wearing a bonnet as well, I can't recall.  I would have worn a onesy had it been socially acceptable.  Now in 2010 we can say we are practicing safe sun exposure but inside I'd know I was hiding my jiggly bits.

We did the kayak lesson, which turned out to be a lot of fun. A life jacket hides a lot and I considered making it part of my daily attire, sort of like a sweater vest only more practical.  I played Frisbee and volleyball, enjoyed the BBQ and all in all had a wonderful day.

Lesson Learned: There are moments like these for all of us where we get so overwhelmed in our appearance and how we think people will judge us.  All the hours I spent stressed about that company party I could have used feeling proud of myself for needing a smaller swimsuit, or thinking a year or two earlier I couldn't have even gotten myself into a kayak. I know hindsight is 20/20 but next time you are faced with a similar experience remember to celebrate the small goals, and if you can muster up the courage to strut your stuff in a swimsuit there will be a group of people who had the same fears and you will forever be their hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!