Tuesday, October 19, 2010

How Much Should You Weigh?

I think sometimes we get distracted by some magic number we hear, like women should weigh 110 lbs etc, that is certainly not healthy for the vast majority of people.  The calculation below has been very helpful for me and motivated me to reassess my current weight and make that final push to reach my goal of 115.  Here we go!

Here is an easy calculation that I use myself to calculate a weight range.
Note: these are just estimates if you want more detail on your ideal weight you should discuss with your doctor or dietitian.

Women: 5' = 100 lbs, add 5 lbs for each additional inch of your height, plus or minus 10% based upon differences in skeletal structure, muscle mass etc.  For me that means at 5'1" I should weigh 105lbs but anywhere between 95-115 lbs is perfectly acceptable. 

Men: 5' = 100 lbs, add 6 lbs for each additional inch of your height, plus or minus 10% based upon differences in skeletal structure, muscle mass etc.  A 5'10" should weigh 160 lbs but anywhere between 144-176 lbs is a-ok.

Keep in mind these ranges do not apply to pregnant women, body builders, performance athletes etc.  But can be used as a rule of thumb for the average human being.

Reference: Nancy Clarke, MS, RD http://www.nancyclarkrd.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!