Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tick Tock...


Do you ever feel like you are running out of time? I don't mean in the "great question of life" kind of way but I mean running out of time to get ready for an event? I'm a big procrastinator in life... I procrastinate on everything...laundry, groceries, work, you name it. I procrastinate on everything, except exercise, yet for some reason I'm two and a half weeks away from our trip and I've been working my ass off and I feel like I'm playing catch up.

As I've mentioned I outlined a detailed exercise program for 20 weeks and I've stuck to it pretty religiously but somehow now I am driving myself crazy with the number of workouts left on the schedule. I missed the odd one here and there but added in other things and have now convinced myself that 20 weeks of hard work will amount to nothing if there is a single workout left undone. Competitive, maybe, neurotic, most likely.

So here was my plan...over 20 weeks (140 days):
51 hot yoga sessions
44 kickboxing classes
39 runs (5-10km each)
39 weight training sessions

Lets do the math, 140 days for 173 workouts. Let's add to that the other workouts I didn't plan for (9 spinning classes, a game of squash, 25km bike ride etc). 185 workouts. Good lord! I've calculated in the next 17 days I have to complete another 35 workouts to have everything marked off my schedule. There might be room on the flight to Hawaii yet folks because I'll be in the belly of the plane in a body bag.

Obviously I need to learn how to relax. Short of popping some anti-psychotic medication I haven't been able to make that mental switch of how much is too much. I can always hear that morbidly obese girl huffing and puffing behind me telling me to stop, it was so much easier when she was in control, think of not having to run, to not count calories, to lay on the couch and do nothing. My virtual workout buddy scares the bejesus out of me and she pushes me to workout even harder, sometimes too hard.

The funny thing is I have no problem counseling my personal training clients on rest days, over training etc but when it comes to my own fitness schedule I'm like a Whirling Dervish, spinning and spinning looking for that elusive enlightenment.

I'd love to say that I'll dial it back and be ok with a few workouts not highlighted on my schedule but that would be a lie. I know I'll bust my ass for the next 17 days and crawl onto that plane and be proud of myself for completing it. It's a sickness folks, don't judge me. But this I will promise to myself....when I create my post-Hawaii training schedule I will factor in two rest days a week! Can you imagine? I don't know what I'll do with all that free time.

Thanks once again for reading the ramblings of an obviously deranged individual. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh man Regan, can I relate! But I'm now suffering from an overtraining injury (stupid runner's knee) and will be forced to take rest days...several of them. Boo. So if you ever figure out how to stop the insanity, let me know!

    ReplyDelete

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!