Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Starting an Exercise Program

Quite a few people have mentioned the lack of motivation or direction to start an exercise program.  I've highlighted a few things that help keep me off the couch in hopes maybe they will help you as well.

#1 Make a Plan
I'm one of those people who likes a very regimented work-out program. I currently have a schedule on my fridge of all my daily workouts until I go to Hawaii in February. Each time I complete one I mark it off.  I find it very motivating to look at the list all complete.  If I miss a workout I have to make it up....but I also factor in at least one rest day per week.

#2 Variety is the Spice of Life
I used to focus on one activity like running and would inevitably end up at my physiotherapists every year with over-training injuries.  Now I mix it up! Each week I kickbox 2-3 times, run twice, weight train twice and practice hot yoga 2-3 times. And I'm always open to substitute in other things like spinning, squash, Crossfit.

#3 Set a Goal
Sometimes we can be very vague on what our goals are. If you want to get in better shape, what does that mean?  Does it mean losing weight, increasing muscle mass, decreasing fat, improving cardio, improving strength, becoming more flexible? Be specific!

What is the goal?  Run 5km, Lose 10 lbs, do a chin-up, bike 20km

What is the timeline? 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months etc  (A goal without a deadline is just wishful thinking)

Is it realistic?  Forget fad diets or exercising yourself into the ground, be smart .5-2lbs of weight loss a week is healthy, 10% increases in mileage a week and remember to give your muscles time to rest between workouts. 

What is your action plan? Meet with a trainer, join a running club, attend group fitness classes, log your daily calories, weigh yourself weekly. If you are going to join a gym what are you going to do there? Have a plan whether its to take fitness classes, meet with gym staff to set up a basic training program (free at all YW/YMCA), or meet with a personal trainer to set up a specific program for you to reach your goal.

Reward yourself!!  Celebrate your successes along the way, if you lost 1lb this week that's awesome!!! That is 3500 calories!!! Treat yourself to a long bubble bath, a new book, a new workout song on iTunes.

Most importantly have fun!!!


Note:  You should always have the ok from your doctor before starting any exercise program.  Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!