Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pull up your panties and get out there!

You've heard me say it before that I love to exercise, yes I need help, and that I am very uncoordinated but will try anything once.  This is my challenge to you, in the next 30 days I want you to try one new activity!  Here are a list of some of the things I've tried, some I loved, some not so much.

Running - Love it! I do it at least twice a week. It's cheap, throw on a pair of sneakers and head out the door. No one knows if you ran 100 meters before you had to walk, its a great cardiovascular activity. Tell someone at work you went for a run and see their face change..that look my friend is a combination of envy and shock..relish in it.

Tennis - I am a horrible tennis player. I played one summer relatively frequently with a friend, it was purely for fun but also a great workout. Check your local city website I bet there are free courts open to the public.

Squash - Awesome! I'm not great with a racket but I love the competitiveness of squash, its kind of loud and angry. Right up my ally. Find a buddy and beat that little ball into submission! If you don't know anyone who plays call your local recreation center, most will have recreational drop-in hours and you can partner with a similar level player.

Kickboxing - I was an embarrassing mess when I first started kickboxing, and still am on occasion.  But I was hooked! Kickboxing has really picked up in popularity in recent years, most martial arts studios offer a kickboxing class for us mere mortals. Give it a try you might find punching that heavy bag so cathartic you may walk in the door to a sink full of dirty dishes and a house full of screaming kids and be blissfully unaware.

Crossfit - If you aren't familiar with Crossfit its pretty intense.  I've just started taking a weekly session with a certified instructor, which I suggest you do as there is a high probability of injury. If you like quick, I'm going to puke on my shoes, workouts this is for you. crossfit.com

Spinning - Cycling is not my favorite activity, I'd rather run but I will say since I've started taking spinning classes on a semi-regular basis I have noticed an improvement in my leg strength and foot turnover which has made me a faster runner.  It's nice to listen to music and an instructor push you through hills and challenge you to try harder. Give it a try, and now that winter is upon us its a great activity to keep you fit until you can get back out on the road.

Cycling - I don't mind going for a long bike ride. If you'd like to do a 40-70km ride along the river, stop and have a snack, enjoy the scenery I'm there. But it won't be that often, who has that kind of time? My husband loves a long ride, so I go with him, secretly to show him that I too am more than capable of biking across Italy. (Which is on my bucket list)

Badminton - I joined a recreational badminton league one year. It was a lot of fun. I hadn't played since Junior High and had forgotten what a good workout it was. Man you really feel the 'ol ass muscles.

Volleyball - I loved playing volleyball, beach and court. It was a great way to meet new friends and sneak in a workout. I played in recreational leagues and then competitive. At 5'1" I was always the setter but that was ok. I'm an extremely competitive person so I realized after a few years of playing I was better suited to sports where I was the only team member. Don't get me wrong I've very supportive and encourage people to do their best but I don't like losing because a couple of people are dialing it in. When I run I know the only reason I didn't set a good pace was because of my effort alone, no one else.

Step Class - Not for me, I am far to uncoordinated for this activity. For the safety of others I keep my distance.

Yoga - I started going to hot yoga a few times a week a couple of years ago and haven't stopped. It's such a nice change from my usual high impact cardio activities. Don't get me wrong it is still knock you on your ass difficult, if you don't think so go stand in a deep lunge for two minutes, if your legs aren't burning then you are a stronger person than I.

TRX - This bad boy will kick your teeth in then ask you if you'd like an apple for lunch. It is hardcore suspension training. I have it set up in my basement after having a training session in Arizona last summer.  I was so sore after my first workout I couldn't actually sit upright.  It's based on core stability and body weight. Check it out! http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/

Plyometrics - I did my first circuit training program based heavily on plyometrics (explosive, quick, jumping activities) this weekend. It was a lot of fun and something I'll add to my workout schedule. You should do this with a professional trainer as there is a high chance of injury...but hey who doesn't like jumping zizzag across the room on one foot while holding a 5kg medicine ball?

So that's the list of some things I've tried, I'm sure there are many more.  The idea I'm trying to convey here is every time a friend tells me they are trying something new I'm game to try it as well.  I might only do it once, I might get hooked or I might only do it a few times a year, the point is I try. So get out there and try something new....ballroom dancing, strippercise, swimming, ping pong...anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!