Thursday, November 11, 2010

Coordination or lack thereof

I am the first to admit I am lacking in the area of coordination.  I have literally left a step class 15 minutes in because I was so confused I ended up on another person's stepper. This is probably why I enjoy sports where there are limited movements, running; I can manage to keep myself moving forward, cycling; I can turn the pedals, walking; have that one nailed...then I added a few others to the mix:

Kickboxing:
I love kickboxing, its an amazing workout, you get to punch and kick, sometimes at the same time. I started kickboxing three years ago and go on average three times a week so you would think by now I would have it down pat.  Not so much. Just the other day I punched myself in the chin doing an uppercut, I routinely topple over while doing a roundhouse kick, I pity the people behind me as I wobble and swing my arms trying to stay upright while doing a front kick.

Yoga:
I love the calming effects of yoga, the mind-body connection...well that hasn't happened for me yet but I am patient.  I like Moksha yoga which is done in a room heated to 39C (102F). It is challenging and sweaty. Imagine sweat pouring from you and hitting your yoga mat like rain drops, now imagine standing on that wet plastic mat on one foot...

Squash:
I love the competitiveness of squash.  I don't play very often and only ever play with my husband, who says he isn't very good but compared to me he's (insert some famous squash player). I try my hardest to hit that little ball, smashing my racket into the floor, the wall, my husband.  I slam full force into the wall bruising my shoulders, I swear, I sweat and I love it, all the while looking like a caged water-buffalo trying to catch a dragonfly.

Tennis:
See above comments about squash but instead of slamming into the walls I run into adjoining courts.

Even though I am aware that sometimes I look a frightful mess I truly enjoy trying new activities.  I've never been able to dance like no one is watching but put me in a group fitness class and I'll be right up front, off-beat, sweaty and smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!