Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Achieving a Fitness Goal

Sometimes we get so bogged down with the number on the scale that we forget our main objective is to get healthy! Setting a fitness goal can take your focus off the scale and turn your attention to becoming physically fit and healthier.

Step #1 - What do you enjoy doing?
With all the recent coverage of the New York City Marathon there is the inevitable post race high of people adding a marathon to their bucket list. Its a great achievement but not necessarily for everyone.  If you don't enjoy running why would you put yourself through a 26 mile run? Maybe you enjoy cycling, martial arts, swimming, tennis etc.

Step #2 - Create a time line
If your goal is to run a race then you have a time line... now until race-day! Be realistic, if you are going from couch to 5km give yourself at least 12 weeks, the longer the distance the more time you'll need.  Maybe your fitness goal is not an event, maybe its to go to the gym three days a week, that is a great goal! Maybe you want to be able to do a chin-up, get a black belt in karate, win a tennis match against a skilled player.  Everyone has a different goal, the point is to choose a goal and make a plan.

Step #3 - Making a plan
If your goal is to run a 5km, you need to start running, join a local running group, pick up a book on beginner running there are a lot of resources out there.  If your goal is to play a sport then you need to join a team, start at a recreational level, incorporate activities that will help you with that sport.  If you want to play racket sports you need to work on explosive moves, lateral moves and upper body strength. Cycling you need to get on a bike, join a spinning class, work on your core and leg strength, foot turn over etc.  Once you have set your goal, research the activities and develop a program to get you there. I highly recommend you ask for professional advice to get the most effective plan possible.



Step #4 - Have fun!
I design an exercise program for myself which I update frequently to adjust for strength and cardio improvements. Sometimes I get bogged down with getting the workout of the day done that I forget to have fun.  That's usually when I realize I need to take a rest day or try something new.

Step #5  - Focus Focus Focus
Some people like a visual reference of their goal, maybe its a picture, maybe its their workout schedule posted on the fridge, whatever your motivation tool is use it! Personally I post my workout schedule on the fridge and mark each workout off as soon as I complete it, it gives me a great sense of accomplishment to see them all checked off. I also schedule my workouts in my agenda at work so I know each day what my objective is, its an appointment with yourself, keep it.  Every time you feel its too hard, you're tired, you're not seeing results you need to focus on the long-term goal, pull up your boot straps and get moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!