Friday, February 4, 2011

Taco Bell: A Love Affair

An oldie but a goodie reposted for our new readers....


In 1994 I started a relationship which would last over a decade, though an unhealthy relationship it was one I was hesitant to end.  There are still moments of weakness when I wonder what it would be like to rekindle our romance, but alas I know it was for the best that we parted when we did.

Two Double Decker Tacos and their ever so complimentary side dish, Nachos Supreme, were my Scarlet Letter.  Dripping in intoxicating hot sauce created by perfect evil geniuses, I devoured dozens, even hundreds of these meals.  Each clocking in at a staggering 1030 calories, 51 grams of fat and over 2200 mg of sodium, its no wonder I broke into a sweat unwrapping each hefty taco.

Step One of Weight Loss:  Stop Eating Garbage
Though Taco Bell didn't taste like garbage it provided little to no nutritional value, over 70% of my required daily calories, my entire daily fat intake and more than the recommended sodium intake...in one meal.  Did I mention I'd wash this down with a large Dr. Pepper? Add another 300 calories. In order for me to burn off this meal I'd have to run 15km at a pretty good pace, at this time in my life it would have taken me the better part of a day to walk 15km.  So the fast food had to go, insert melodramatic music, tears and one sordid farewell meal. http://tacobell.ca/Nutritional-Information

Exercise is encouraged as a part of any weight loss program for a number of reasons, it burns calories, improves cardio fitness, improves bone and muscle strength, improves mood etc...but no matter how much you exercise you cannot exercise enough to undo the damage of a poor diet.

 The guys at Turbulance Training did an interesting experiment proving exactly that:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rULrxuiqU2I

1 comment:

  1. Regan, this sounds so similar to my own past relationship with Taco Bell. Even though the flavours aren't *that* good, I still loved going there. And washing it down with a good ol' Dr. Pepper. Nom!

    Now, it's a (maybe) once-a-year treat because I know how bad it is for me.

    I'm stopping by from Losing it in Ottawa. I know it's been a while since you visited our site, but I just found your comment - silly site doesn't notify us of comments on every page. ;)

    ReplyDelete

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!