Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Instant Gratification

I admit it I have a problem with instant gratification. If I want a Diet Coke, a piece of chocolate, Mexican Food, it doesn't matter, as soon as the craving hits I want it immediately. Some days I can squash the overwhelming urges by distracting myself but some days I'm like a sniffer dog at the airport just waiting for some heroin laden passenger to pounce on so the guy at the end of my leash will give me my squeak toy.

I know there are rational reasons why we crave certain things, dehydration makes us hungry, lack of sleep makes us crave caffeine, sugar and carbohydrates, overeating fats makes us crave more fat and so on and so forth. So how do you break the cycle? I can't always be fully hydrated, well rested and eating a perfectly clean and healthy diet. We only live once! So where do we find the discipline to resist temptation when it knocks on our door?

Admittedly training for a marathon has pushed my appetite into overdrive and running 40+ miles a week has given me an easy excuse of "Oh I have a big run tomorrow I'll burn it off." Based upon my recent consumption of chocolate and baked goods I need to up my mileage to 100+ miles. Thankfully I've gotten back on track with recording my food intake and even if I do crave a little something sweet I've been working it into my daily calories.

I am nothing if not a work in progress, now where did I put those M&M's?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!