Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Facebook This


I often wonder if people get tired of my posts on Facebook and Twitter about exercise. I guess they always have the option not to read them or remove me from their friend list. But to be honest I post things like “I’m going for a run”, or accomplishments like “Set a new personal best in the 5km” for very selfish reasons, these posts motivate me! If I post on Facebook that I am going for a run I feel like I’ve just told a two-hundred people my goal and if I don’t accomplish it I’ll be letting them down.  I often think during a tough workout “I have to finish this I posted it on Facebook!”. 

I don’t mean for posts to come off as I’m bragging, though I am proud of a lot of the things I have accomplished, I mean for them to drive me to succeed.  I love seeing a friend’s status say “Off to the gym!” or “Decided to run a 10k!”…you go girl/guy and yell it from the rooftops! I’d much rather see people tooting their own horns on Facebook and Twitter about setting goals than the constant negative status updates about weather, ex-boyfriends, celebrities and day to day malaise.

I do hope that some of my posts are motivating and encourage others to get active but really I use social media to make myself accountable to the dozens of people I haven’t seen since High School but somehow thanks to Facebook seem like we’re all in the same little town again, to the acquaintances I’ve made over the years, to current and former colleagues, and of course to my family. Twitter I use primarily to make asinine comments about people in line at the grocery store…I’m not perfect.

I thank you for motivating me to push a little bit harder and being my virtual cheering section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you like my blog? Feel free to post questions or comments!